Copper Mine

For memorial weekend, we decided to visit the biggest man-made hole on the earth. The mine is so big that it can be seen by space shuttle astronauts as they pass over the United States. Kennecott Utah Copper Mine has exhibits featuring everything from mining artifacts and model trucks to the modern day operations and approach to environmental engineering. Bingham Canyon Mine not only has copper but also has gold and silver. The processing of ore was very interesting. Kennecott Mine produces 55,000,000 tons of copper a year; it has 11 giant electric shovels and 70 gigantic haulage trucks.







3 comments:

Nancy said...

This brings back memories. I remember going there as a kid and think the holes were so big! We need to do it again when we come out, it has been a long time! xxx

We need to skype with you sometime....what you doing for FHE?

Kristen said...

You know I have never been there though I grew up there. Kinda strange. Looks pretty neat. You are so on top of things-already having a Memorial day outing and posting it and it's only Monday. You guys are cute.

JaNae said...

I remember being blown away by the size of the trucks there! Way to be tourists in your own city!!!